Celebration of Life Prayers of Intercession
- For a growing respect for the life of each human person from conception to natural death; and that this respect may be protected in our laws. We pray to the Lord.
- For a growing love of God’s little ones in the womb, in the nursing home or at death’s door that we might love them with the love of Jesus.
We pray to the Lord.
- That God may bless all doctors, nurses and medical staff in their difficult work and help them use their skills to foster life and bring healing
We pray to the Lord
- For all our elected representatives, that they may courageously advance the cause of human life from conception to natural death.
We pray to the Lord
- For all women who have had abortions and for those who feel tempted and afraid may they find wisdom, strength and healing.
We pray to the Lord.
Prayers of Intercession on the Theme of Respect for Life
- We pray for couples preparing for marriage – that they may be blessed by God with the gift of children who are the fruit of their love. Lord hear us.
- We pray for parents who have lost a baby during pregnancy – that they may be consoled in their sorrow by the hope of meeting their child in heaven. Lord hear us.
- We pray for couples for whom the birth of a child poses particular challenges – that they may find within themselves and in the wider family circle the resources they need to welcome their child with joy and love. Lord hear us.
- We pray for our society – that it may be marked by a deep respect for the life and dignity of every person, young and old, rich and poor, native or immigrant, born or unborn. Lord hear us.
- We pray for the Church – that, inspired by the Holy Spirit who is the giver of life, we may bear witness in all that we say and do to the beauty of life in every human person. Lord hear us.
- We pray for Doctors and Nurses – that, in the midst of all the practical demands of their work, they may always see themselves as guardians and servants of human life. Lord hear us.
- We pray for scientists who are involved in biomedical research – that, as they seek new and better ways to heal the sick and to prevent disease, they may always respect the dignity of each human life from its beginning to its natural end. Lord hear us.
- We pray for those who make our laws – that they may always recognise their primary responsibility for the common good, which is the good of each and of all. Lord hear us.
- We pray for Journalists – that they may always have wisdom to recognise the truth and courage to write the truth, however unpopular it may be. Lord hear us.
- We pray for those whose work as pregnancy counsellors brings them into contact with women for whom pregnancy presents particular difficulties – that they may be good listeners and that through their support and friendship many women will find within themselves the emotional strength to continue with their pregnancy. Lord hear us.
- We pray for women who have had abortions – that they may experience the healing mercy of God and that, in the fullness of time they may be reunited with their child in the kingdom of heaven. Lord hear us.
- For all those who give their time and energy to the defence of human life – that God, who is the author of life, may give them courage and renew their energy. Lord hear us.
- We pray for parents whose children are born with life-limiting conditions – that they may be filled with a love from God which will spill over to touch their child and to enrich their love and care for one another. Lord hear us.
- We pray for our elected representatives – that, in their effort to develop a mature democracy, they will have courage, individually and collectively, to acknowledge, respect and promote the right to life of every person from fertilisation to natural death. Lord hear us.
- We pray for our society – that in defending the right to life, we may not be found wanting in providing for the practical, emotional and spiritual needs of women for whom pregnancy presents real difficulties. Lord hear us.
- We pray for children who have been adopted – that they may find love, acceptance and care in their family of adoption and that, in the fullness of time, if they wish to do so, they may be able to establish warm relationships with their biological parents. Lord hear us.
- We pray for those who work in the communications media – that they may be guided by the inner voice of conscience to bear witness to the truth about abortion and about life in the womb. Lord hear us.
- We pray for judges, whose responsibility it is to interpret and to apply the law – that they may recognise and be guided by the moral law which is written in the nature of every person. Lord hear us.
- We pray for healthcare professionals and especially for those who work in the field of obstetrics and gynaecology – that, inspired by the mystery of life, they may be fearless advocates for the unborn. Lord hear us.
- We pray for pharmacists and for all who work in the manufacture of drugs and medical devices – that they may always use their knowledge and their skills in the service of life. Lord hear us.
O Lord, you search me and you know me,
you know my resting and my rising,
you discern my purpose from afar.
You mark when I walk or lie down,
all my ways lie open to you.
Before ever a word is on my tongue
you know it, O Lord, through and through.
Behind and before you besiege me,
your hand ever laid upon me.
Too wonderful for me this knowledge,
too high, beyond my reach.
O where can I go from your spirit,
or where can I flee from your face?
If I climb the heavens, you are there.
If I lie in the grave, you are there.
If I take the wings of the dawn
and dwell at the sea’s furthest end,
even there your hand would lead me,
your right hand would hold me fast.
If I say: “Let the darkness hide me
and the light around me be night,”
even darkness is not dark for you
and the night is as clear as the day.
For it was you who created my being,
knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I thank you for the wonder of my being,
for the wonders of all your creation.
Already you knew my soul
my body held no secret from you
when I was being fashioned in secret
and molded in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw all my actions,
they were all of them written in your book;
every one of my days was decreed
before one of them came into being.
To me, how mysterious your thoughts,
the sum of them not to be numbered!
If I count them, they are more than the sand;
to finish, I must be eternal, like you.
O search me, God, and know my heart.
O test me and know my thoughts.
See that I follow not the wrong path
and lead me in the path of life eternal.
Prayer of Saint Pope John Paul II – Evangelium Vitae
bright dawn of the new world,
Mother of the living,
to you do we entrust the cause of life
Look down, O Mother,
upon the vast numbers
of babies not allowed to be born,
of the poor whose lives are made difficult,
of men and women
who are victims of brutal violence,
of the elderly and the sick killed
by indifference or out of misguided mercy.
Grant that all who believe in your Son
may proclaim the Gospel of life
with honesty and love
to the people of our time.
Obtain for them the grace
to accept that Gospel
as a gift ever new,
the joy of celebrating it with gratitude
throughout their lives
and the courage to bear witness to it
resolutely, in order to build,
together with all people of good will,
the civilization of truth and love,
to the praise and glory of God,
the Creator and lover of life.
Prayer to God the Father of All Life
Eternal God, You have revealed Yourself as the Father of all Life. We praise You for the Fatherly care which You extend to all creation, and especially to us, made in Your image and likeness.
Father, extend Your hand of protection to those threatened by abortion, and save them from its destructive power. Give Your strength to all fathers, that they may never give in to the fears that may tempt them to facilitate abortions.
Bless our families and bless our land, that we may have the joy of welcoming and nurturing the life of which You are the source and the Eternal Father. Amen.
Prayer to Mary, Mother of the Life Within
O Mary, Mother of the Life Within,
all life we entrust to you;
The life of every expectant mother
and the child within her womb:
The life of every human body,
the life of every human soul;
The life of every newborn child
and the life of all grown old.
You held the Lord to your own heart
and drew Him so close in.
So draw us now in all our needs,
O Mother of the Life Within.
Lenten Pro-life Prayer
We thank you for this season of grace and light.
We know that sin has blinded us.
Draw us ever closer to you, in prayer and penance.
Since you, O God, are light itself,
Give all your people a clearer understanding
Of what is sin, and what is virtue.
Grant in particular that we may see, as never before,
The profound dignity of every human life,
Including the vulnerable unborn children.
Give us grace to defend
Our brothers and sisters in the womb
By our prayers, our words,
And our self-sacrificing actions.
We make this prayer through Christ our Lord. Amen.
An Easter Prayer for Life
Lord Jesus Christ,
You are the Author of Life,
Who died and now lives forevermore.
May we who work and pray
That children in the womb may be protected
Always draw strength, confidence, and joy
From Your victory over death,
For you are Lord forever and ever. Amen.
Prayer to the Virgin Mary
O Mary, Mother of Jesus and Mother of us all, we turn to you today as the one who said “Yes” to Life. “You will conceive and bear a Son,” the angel told you. Despite the surprise and the uncertainty about how this could be, you said yes. “Be it done unto me according to your word.”
Mary, we pray today for all mothers who are afraid to be mothers. We pray for those who feel threatened and overwhelmed by their pregnancy. Intercede for them, that God may give them the grace to say yes and the courage to go on. May they have the grace to reject the false solution of abortion. May they say with you, “Be it done unto me according to your word.” May they experience the help of Christian people, and know the peace that comes from doing God’s will. Amen.
Choose Life: Prayer for the Child in the Womb
Lord Jesus, you are the source and lover of life.
Reawaken in us respect for every human life.
Help us to see in each child the marvellous work of our Creator.
Open our hearts to welcome every child
as a unique and wonderful gift.
Guide the work of doctors, nurses and midwives.
May the life of a mother and her baby in the womb
be equally cherished and respected.
Help those who make our laws to uphold
the uniqueness and sacredness of every human life,
from the first moment of conception to natural death.
Give us wisdom and generosity to build a society that cares for all.
Together with Mary, your Mother,
in whose womb you took on our human nature,
Help us to choose life in every decision we take.
We ask this in the joyful hope of eternal life with you,
and in the communion of the Blessed Trinity.
Our Lady of Knock, pray for us.
All the Saints of Ireland, pray for us.
Prayer of Pope Francis (Laudato Si’)
All powerful God, you are present in the whole universe
and in the smallest of your creatures.
You embrace with your tenderness all that exists.
Pour out upon us the power of your love,
That we may protect life and beauty.
Fill us with peace, that we may live
as brothers and sisters, harming no one.